This Site Guide article is currently under construction (15 January 2021)
A thermic site with tremendous potential.
- North-West to North East
from easy (W) to moderate (E, NW) to difficult (NE, N). All launch sites are clear of rocks.
- Altitude: 250m high, no ceiling directly above takeoff, though flying east you encounter a ceiling of 1700m ATO from the east side of town, then 700m ATO as you get closer to the Hartebeespoort Dam. Flying west, the closest controlled airspace is Mafikeng Airport, far away.
Get to Rustenberg and follow the N4 right through town, following the Swartruggens arrows. Continue straight past the golf course, Rugby stadium and Tlabane Sun Casino. The mountain is now on your left. Continue straight. You will reach a T- junction to your right that reads ‘Phokeng’. Continue straight for about 1km and turn left onto a dirt road at the signboard ‘Hennie Naude Voerkrale.’ Turn left at the 4th road. There is a large silver-coloured gate. Continue going straight up to another gate where you should see a two-track cement road going towards the Lapa. Please report at the Lapa to the club and sign in before going up the mountain.
E of takeoff a large open area is available for landing with a dirt road access to the tar road. Do not fly over or land in the shooting range (a red windsock on boundary). W side landing is uncultivated farm land with no major obstacles. Do not fly over the model aeroplane field. When going xc, steer clear of the airfield 10km E.
The club has a thatched lapa, huge bar, DSTV covering major sporting events, pool, camping facilities with ablution blocks (hot water showers, flush toilets). The club has a resident 4×4 vehicle for retrieval. The site works from very early in the morning, and has something for every level of pilot. There are even HG ramps!
- Beware dust-devils on still days.
- No open fires on the hill.
- No climbing over gates or fences.
- Students to be under radio instruction at all times.
- HG: beware of long grass on lower portion of landing field which can grab at the base bar – flare high.
Skybirds, Deon Cilliers (083 297 3792)