No-one has time for paperwork. This guide will summarise what is needed and guide you through the steps for your membership renewal.
A change from annual to biennial
SACAA has changed the licensing period from annual (every year) to biennial (every second year). This presents some administrative challenges for SAHPA, and the following will apply from August 2021:
- SAHPA Membership Fee will be due every two years (mandatory)
- SACAA Pilot Licence Renewal fees will be due every two years (mandatory)
- Aero Club Membership fee will be due every two years (mandatory)
- ICASA Radio Licence fee will be due every two years (optional)
- FAI Sporting Licence will be due every two years (optional)
In summary, expect to pay a bigger sum every two years.
The renewal process is fairly simple, but it does require that you prepare the following documentation:
- SACAA Licence Renewal Form, completed by you and signed by an instructor
- Summary Logbook (last page, with totals).
- SAHPA Membership Renewal Form, completed by you and signed by an instructor.
- If you are a tandem pilot, or you have medical conditions, you will need to provide Medical Declaration form signed by a medical doctor.
- If you’ve not flown for some time, you will need to complete a Skills Test form, signed by the instructor who validated your skills.
- Copy of your ID-card, or passport.
- An ID photo (you may take this yourself, but no helmets, duck-lips or gang-signs please!)
- Complete all the documentation, as described above. You will be required to submit this documentation via email.
- Complete the SAHPA Membership Renewal Form.
- You will be prompted to pay for your SAHPA Membership and Licence Renewal. Select the relevant options, and complete the transaction through Payfast.
- You may also opt to pay via EFT, please used your Initial and Surname as reference number.
- Once you have received the email confirming your payment, you need to send an email with your signed Required Documents (see above) to the SAHPA Office.
- The SAHPA Office will process and collate all your documentation and will, on your behalf:
- Send your Pilot Licence Renewal to CAA
- Send your Radio Licence to ICASA
- Send your Membership Renewal to Aero Club
- SACAA takes approximately two weeks to process Pilot Licence renewals. The SAHPA Office will keep track of the renewals, and notify you of progress.
- You will receive a notification to say that your licence is ready and may be collected, or shipped to you. If you live in Gauteng, you may collect from the SAHPA office, alternatively your licence will be shipped to you at a fee (via PostNet).